A Benedictine monastery was founded in this place in 1106. Due to its location on a busy trading route, the monastery was built in the style of a fortress. Along with the Ossiach, Millstatt and St. Paul monasteries it contributed to the spiritual and material growth and wealth of the entire Province by offering people jobs, land and education. The Arnoldstein monastery endured the major earthquake of 1348 and several attacks by the Turks. It was closed in 1783 and was devastated in a fire a hundred years later.
Since 1991 the ruins have been revitalized thanks to the major efforts of a local initiative. The monastery now hosts a wide variety of events, including concerts, readings, exhibitions, but also private celebrations and festivities.
NOTE: Special venue for weddings!